Monday, November 5, 2018

My Visit to the Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair, A New Addition and A Little Grace...

I am so thrilled to have add the opportunity to attend the Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair (SAFF) in Fletcher, NC.  It was so fun and educational!

I had the opportunity to take some classes in spinning, needle felting and traditional wool preparation.  The spinning class was SO helpful!  I cannot wait to have time to sit at my wheel and work on improving my technique. The needle felting is so easy and you can complete a small project in just a few hours. I am looking forward to trying my hand at making some more artsy items with needle felting. The traditional wool preparation class exposed me to many different types of fleeces, hand carding, fiber washing, and more.  It will help this next Spring when we shear our own sheep!

I brought home an unexpected purchase!  Introducing Glory to God's Idaho Pine.



This little guy is a beautiful addition to our all boy's gang.  He is only 4 months old and already a beautiful, friendly little man.  We will be keeping him intact, as long as he remains a gentle boy!, so our friends at Dragonwool Acres can use him for breeding this next Spring. I can't wait to see how all the boys fleeces are in the Springtime!

Even with all the fun learning, the excitement of a new addition and a absolutely wonderful weekend away with two friends, I have to admit the highlight of the whole weekend was the awesome gift of Grace I was blessed to witness.

When I was walking around talking with other Jacob sheep owners, a little boy, probably eight or nine walked up with the cutest, little Jacob ewe lamb on a lead rope.  "You can pet my sheep" he says to me, so of course I had to bend down and pet this beautiful little lamb.  The little guy was just beaming from ear to ear.  He soon trotted off and was offering for the next person he saw to pet his sheep.

I began speaking with another Jacob Owner and we were talking about ram lambs I noticed a little girl taking selfies with the sheep.  It was adorable!  As she went around to the other side of the pens I noticed the little guy with the ewe lamb was talking with her.  I watched as he went into the pen and brought his little lamb out once again and says, "You can take a picture of my sheep!"  I grinned from ear to ear. This little guy was so very proud of this little lamb and so eager to share her with anyone and everyone who would listen.  I watched as they put the little lamb between them and started taking pictures.

I mentioned to the person I was speaking with how adorable that was and they said, "Yeah, he has been through a lot" and went on to explain.

You see this little round, freckled faced boy, think Opie Taylor, had just gotten out of foster care.  He was currently staying with his Aunt.  His father had been caught with heroin a year before....actually on that very day one year before.  The little guy had been home when this all went down and he had been taken into foster care.

He is being cared for and loved at his Aunt house who also happens to be a sheep owner.  He had stated to his Aunt he really wanted a sheep of his own and she had shared that with some of the others there.  The only problem was, there really weren't many ewe lambs available for sale and they just could not take a ram lamb home because of the full grown rams they already had on their farm.

That did not deter this little guy from having the best time at the fair.  He ran around offering to help with animals, help with their food, help with hay or straw or just help in any way he could.  He was having a great time.

One of the other sheep owners saw how he was so excited about the whole weekend and they had spoken with the Aunt and knew his story so they knew they had to do something for this smart, bright, helpful little fellow.

They told him he could show one of their ewe lambs!  He was SO excited.  He marched that little lamb right into the ring and did an awesome job.  They did so well he came out with a fourth place ribbon!  He walked up to the lamb's owner and said, "Here this is your ribbon!"  The owner said, "No honey, you showed that lamb, that is YOUR ribbon".  He was so excited!

Then, he got the biggest surprise ....the lamb owner said, "and that is your lamb."  His eyes lit up and he said "Really?" "Yes" was the reply from the lambs owners and his Aunt was standing there as he got the news...( the owner had asked before she just gave it to him)... so he turns to his Aunt and asks, "Can I keep her?" His Aunt nods her head.

This little guy had just been given a gift of a ewe lamb that the owner had just bought for herself.  Now he was walking around showing off HIS lamb to anyone who would listen.

Folks, this was such a beautiful example of grace.

I stood there and the lambs, now previous owner, and I are in tears as she tells me the story.  These amazing people saw a little boy who had been through so very much in this past year and did the one thing that they saw that would bring him joy.  They gave away a little ewe lamb to a little boy who just needed something to call his own and something for him to take care of and love.

My heart just overflowed with love and total appreciation for these awesome people who were so generous to a little boy that needed a little hope and love....they showed him grace.

It really made me think.  How many times could I have done something to show someone else a little grace? How many opportunities have I missed to show another person grace? How can I share the love of God and show grace to my fellow man?

We all have things in our past, we all go through things, and we all need a little grace.  We are all in this thing called life together and if we can do anything to lift up one another why wouldn't we?

I want to thank these awesome people for being such great, loving grace-filled people. We could all use a little more grace so let's share some grace with those around us today.

I know every time I think of that little boys face just beaming with pride when he asked, "Do you want to pet my sheep?" it will remind me that just a little grace may make all the difference for someone.....Will you share a little grace today?


No comments:

Post a Comment