Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Beginnings....

Welcome to first post to The Old Five Notch Farm blog! We hope that you will enjoy as we grow and build our farm with the goal of becoming more self-sufficient.

Our first major project is building a chicken coop and acquiring some chickens.  Here are some pics of the progress:
We has to clear some land first....these are the first trees falling!

 We have had so much help from friends and family!  This our friend Jerry clearing the area with his Dozier
 My son Matthew, fellow firefighter Colin, and the man with the plan, my hubby, Scott. Working at clearing all those trees.
 Jerry offered to come back and move all the stumps to a huge burn pile for us!  Thanks Jerry!
 My oldest nephew, Gideon, working the excavator. Smoothing out the area for the coop and run.
Scott rebuilding the berm on the edge of the coop area.  This will help with erosion.

 Scott, and both of my nephews, Gideon and Patrick building the base/foor.
 The first wall going up!
 Walls all framed and the rafters going up
The tin roof is on!

We are so excited and so blessed to have so much help with this project.  My oldest nephew is taking building construction in High School so he has been a big help and he's even learned a trick or two from Scott.  Scott is quite a carpenter.  He built our house and this chicken house is built just as well!  The chickens will be well housed and protected. :0)  Our little day old chicks will be here the week of April 22cnd so we have plenty of time to finish the coop and run for them.  They will be in a brooder for a few weeks before being put in the coop. I'm thrilled that we will be able to put them on the screened porch for the first few weeks...nice and close where I can be an attentive momma! 

I don't want to overwhelm everyone with too many pics and info at once so I'll post more soon!  I hope you enjoy a peek into our little farm!  Thanks for stopping by :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment